Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Taking One Step

Yesterday I finally met up with the Datin. It was a last-minute meeting called by her and we almost went into a panic getting ready for it. After getting our bearings and objective aligned with Mr. K, we managed to put some decent things together for discussion. Always go to a meeting prepared. Mr. D, A (from Brazil) and I set out to see her.

The building that Datin is in is also designed by Mr. K, my boss. We have to convince her that the new apartment building we proposed would be one that will sell like hot cakes.

The first impression of a person is always interesting, especially if you’ve heard and talked about her for several months before the meeting. She was probably in her fifties and she speaks a very genuine version of “Manglish” with a speed that we call “machine gun” and in a rather high pitched voice. Her body is small built and about 5ft 2 inches tall. She walks with the aid of two crutches, I wondered if it was permanent but kept the question to myself. She wears jewelry on her ears, neck, wrists and fingers, all matching and glittering. In short, she looks like a Datin.

The meeting began and it was a long 1-1/2 hours of her expressing her displeasures over the project. Well, to be honest, I think she has the right to be displeased. Mr. D just didn’t give her what she wanted for the past few months. So I listened intently and made notes of what I heard. She took some files out and showed us what other small timer designers have presented to her. She was more impressed with those sketches than the computer generated ones we had given her. She made comments about the furniture layout. After awhile, I found note taking unnecessary because she was repeating herself. She was simply very upset. In her own words, “So can you see the agony that I’m in?” I had to nod my head in agreement. The one person who was at the meeting that I wished wasn’t present was her side-kick Mr. S. He was acting as if he should’ve been the designer, giving input and making remarks that were most unwelcome. No wonder Mr. D said one day he will get that guy drunk and he’ll beat him up! That aside, I think I pretty much know what Datin wants and I have a good feeling that we can deliver.

By the way, what happened to our piece that we put together? We only have a total of probably less then ten minutes to sneak in to Datin during the sporadic intervals that were hard to come by. Mr. A didn’t get to say much and Mr. D managed to get the work program worked out. The bad news is we now have our program shortened by a hefty 21 days! From now on it’ll be lots of sleepless nights.

The good thing is I have made that one big step. And I promise not to disappoint myself. This is a chance that Mr. K has given me and I hope this would be the leap that I had been wishing for.

No comments: