Thursday, August 09, 2007

Singapore Is 42!

One year ago I posted this:
I've been back here since January this year and now it's time to celebrate Singapore's 42nd birthday. The difference between last year and this year for me is that my 4 boys are here with me and are somewhat "involved".
Being in the local government schools they sing (or listen to) the Singapore national anthem and hear the recitation of the Singapore pledge every morning.
I remember those school assemblies every morning, having to go through this formal ceremony before classes began. The national anthem and pledge stayed with me in my head for years and years. Now I'm back here and sometimes Ray, the youngest in the family would sing and recite them just for "fun".
Watching my children being moulded by the education system that once nurtured me makes me wonder where their loyalty will eventually be. I know I was very defensive of Singapore when I was living in Malaysia. Yes, I knew there were many flaws and imperfection in this country but somehow there was a loyalty that I have for this land. Maybe because this was where I grew up and there are family and friends who make me who I am.
42 years is a very young age for a nation. There is a desperate need for it to instill in its people some patriotic loyalty. Well, they did a great job in getting the national anthem and pledge into my head. But it's still not in my heart yet.
What will it take for that to happen?
Maybe the first step is to understand the meaning of the lyrics. It's in Malay. A language the majority of Singaporean barely comprehend. I know I have no excuse now, since I've picked up Malay from my children and our Indonesian maid.
Time will tell if the anthem and pledge will eventually find their way into my heart.
For now, it's Happy Birthday 42nd Singapore!

Click on the picture and go to the website that is dedicated to this special celebration.

Note: NDP = National Day Parade

2 comments:

Irene said...

Sister Chong, you have been tagged. Check my blog.

Dad the KL city kid said...

Repetition will always make things stick into our mind but making things stick into our heart is a little more tricky.

I think its more complexed as it has something to do with the state of our emotions and that seems always elusive as everyone seems to have a different makeup.That's why the Gospel always talks about the spirit working in our minds and in our hearts.

We know that Love is the fundamental spirit of the Gospel and its very powerful to make men do the impossible such as unite despite differences, all because of love. Therefore, I guess any government has to find a way to show that 'pure' love over and beyond its political & bureaucratic processes. Can any government do it? I think not as it has to come from a heart moving organization such as a Church where love & forgiveness is the key message whereas governments have to deal with reality such as policies,detailed laws, fines, jails, taxes etc which is not pleasing.

I think its good enough that the Church directs our belief system to support governments as enshrined in the Articles of Faith with details in D&C 134. We therefore keep continuing to exercise our faith and give the necessary support to the governments irrespective of our political thinking and feelings! We don't have to fully believe in the government as we do in the Church so I think it's ok if you don't have the same measure of feeling in your heart.

That's my 'Two Sense' worh on the matter, hehe