Friday, March 23, 2007

I'm Back (in my elements)!!!

I hope you haven't given up on me yet. It's been a long, long silence here but I've been very much alive and well.
This past Wednesday marked the 1year anniversary of my surgery last year. It was also co-incidental that my latest follow-up with the surgeon was on Tuesday evening. This kind of co-incidence on significant dates usually put me into contemplative mood. I had taken time to reflect on the many events that had taken place leading to the surgery and following it.
How do you hold an ocean in a tea-cup? Perhaps I can't give you all of it but I can give you a scoop for now.
Finally, the Singapore Girl is back in the Lion City, for good, after almost a 1/4 century absence! I'm now sitting in the living room of a tiny HDB flat--my childhood home. If the walls of this flat could talk, it would tell me, "Welcome home!"
This place had changed so much both in the surrounding and also internally. And thankfully so, it had changed for the better. The only thing that I wished they had kept was the swing. After the up-grading, they tore down the very strong swings that not only I as a kid but all my children had a chance to play on. In it's place now is a badminton/bola sepak takraw court. It's still wonderful, except you can't go into solitude or contemplative mode playing badminton. The swing used to be my little haven that I retreated to. Perhaps now the retreat is right here where I can listen to my thoughts.
Instead of recounting events of these past weeks maybe I should just count my blessings here:
  1. I'm grateful that Fei is in her element in Beijing--everyone should be a Montessory kid! Go, Fei!
  2. I'm grateful that Su is also in her element in Oakland California, serving a voluntary mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
  3. I'm grateful that Han has found his new elements and transformed himself. He makes me proud.
  4. I'm grateful that Shuan is the son who though seems quiet but speaks volumes to me when we are both in our elements.
  5. I'm grateful that Ernie is rapidly outgrowing his clothes and looks forward to going to school every morning. Congratulations Ernie--the new class monitor!
  6. I'm grateful that Ray has turned into a very entertaining little science professor who loves playing badminton.
  7. I'm grateful for my brothers who are totally different from each other but love me all the same.
  8. I'm grateful for best friends Sue May and Joice. It was a dreamy night sitting on the 3 swings and talking.
  9. I'm grateful for generosity extended to me from family and friends.
  10. I'm grateful for health and life!
  11. I'm grateful that what I thought I lacked is more than compensated by what I am blessed with.

I must add that the list above is only tip of the iceberg. If I continued to name everything, or everyone I would run out of space...

I'm just happy and grateful to be back...in my elements.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome Mai & Family to The Lion City... Though the space in the tiny flat are small, in it the precious memory of the past love still lives. The love that fills your family is growing deeper & mightier moments by moments as days go by.... Grace & Peace from God the Father & the Lord Jesus Christ be with the Family... matthias Thong